Our History

Our History

1834
First organization of a Presbyterian Church in Bowmanville
1842
First Presbyterian church building erected at Temperance & Church Streets
1844
Presbyterian Church of Canada (Free Kirk) splits with Established Church (Auld Kirk)
1845
Bowmanville’s first Presbyterian Minister inducted: Reverend Alexander Steele
1850
Canada Presbyterian builds first Church near Prospect St. and Lambs Lane in Bowmanville
1851
Reverend John Smith inducted to Canada Presbyterian Church (Bowmanville & Enniskillen)
1863
Canada Presbyterian Church buys first manse on Beach Avenue in Bowmanville ($970)
1869
Bowmanville & Enniskillen congregation separate due to size
1871
Canada Presbyterian congregation erects new building at 178 Church Street ($7,631)
1871
Canada Presbyterian congregation erects new building at 178 Church Street ($7,631)
1876
Bell installed in Church Tower
1877
Session renames Canada Presbyterian Church to St. Paul’s Church
1900
Sunday School hall, new lights and a pipe organ were added
1906
St. Paul’s buys the present manse at 190 Church Street in Bowmanville
1921
St. Paul’s receives Colours of 2nd Canadian Battalion, Eastern Ontario Regiment
1922
Major renovations to church and manse
1925
United Church of Canada formed by Presbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists – 74 members withdraw from St. Paul’s and establish the present St. Andrew’s congregation – St. Paul’s Church becomes St. Paul’s United Church
1929
Steeple damaged by lightning and removed
1941
2nd Battalion Colours withdrawn to War Museum in Ottawa
1948
Baptismal Font presented to St. Paul’s
1958
Church basement lowered and renovated
1961
Choir loft enlarged and organ rebuilt
1965
Christian Education Building, kitchen and auditorium added
1970
Salem United Church joins St. Paul’s congregation
1982
Auditorium renovated
1991
Sanctuary ceiling collapses and is repaired
1993
Christian Education Building is expanded and manse receives major renovation and upgrade
1999
Sanctuary renovated
2000
Dedication of new stain glass windows in church bell tower
2013
Solar panels installed and operational
2013
Manse sold (December)
2016
St. Paul’s becomes an Affirming Congregation